Here are some photos of what photographers and medical geneticists do on weekends. Leanna tried on something at G-star Raw last week that inspired this shoot. In fact, the shirt/dress thing looked so good on her that random strangers passing through the store commented on it. Hahah . . . we still don't know if it's a long hoodie or a dress as it's really short. Photos were shot in my favourite back alley. Thank you to my wonderful 5'2" model for making this shoot so easy (no hint of sarcasm).
One of the first images shot this evening. Light provided by a Bowens Explorer 1500 battery system with two Bowens Quad heads. The "key" head was fitted with Bowens 7" grid reflector and 30degree grid (I would have used a 40degree if I had one handy) shooting through a 42" diffuser. The second head was fitted with a Calumet Illuma Medium softbox. The entire lighting kit including extra stands, reflector/diffuser holder, battery system, two heads and light mods all fit into Kata's OC-97 case. Shot with the Nikon D300 and Nikkor 17-55/2.8.
Another test shot. I originally envisioned a shot with the hood of the dress on and from this angle but the "deliverable" shots ended up with a less dramatic angle and the hood down.
Slight lighting change after realizing that I had mentally reversed which head was plugged into which channel of the pack. The key light was fitted with two layers of yellow gel to warm up the light and the image was white balanced for the key light whereas the colour temperature of the soft box light was left unaltered giving a colder tone to the rest of the image. Lens changed to Sigma 30/1.4. Shot at F/1.4 and ISO 200. Focusing with such little light was tedious and the shallow depth of field left little room for error thus making a continuously autofocused shot very difficult.
Reattempt at a more dramatic angle and pose using the new lighting setup.
What started with a fleeting moment of intrigue has turned into an obsession. These were among the first photographs to inspire me to seek a [somewhat] affordable solution for single-shot digital capture with full view camera movements that would still allow me to shoot with Rollei 1/1000s leaf shutters and, if possible, have multi-shot capture capability for true colour, high resolution fine art reproduction capability. I'm still a few months and a large format scan back system sale away from making such a purchase but a few nights ago I've put in writing my studio's equipment purchase and sale strategy to follow over the next two years.
A photo I've shown in this blog in a previous post but I finally did a proper scan of the Polaroid photo using the Betterlight Super 6K-HS scanning back, Horseman LE, and Rodenstock Sironar 210/5.6. People seemed to love the scanning defect from the previous scan in the form of the diagonal noisy lines so after some tinkering I deliberately recreated these lines. Selective focus was all performed within camera on Kwok's Camera and the Fujinon 150/5.6 w/ Seiko shutter. Congratulations to Sarah Chung for purchasing this camera. I don't think there was anyone I would have rather sold the camera to.
-30degrees C plus humid, strong wind presents challenges for both model and photographer but also create an interesting setting for photo creation. Shot with the Nikon D300 mounted onto a Chinese-made sliding adapter for the Graflok universal mount for 4x5 cameras. Adapter was mounted on the back (or front, depending on how you think about it since the camera is symmetrical) Horseman LE and shot through the Rodenstock Sironar 210/5.6. Top right corner was digitally blurred since the movements that would create the plane of focus that I wanted were physically impossible to achieve despite having unlimited view camera movements with this monorail.